autumn

autumn
spearfish creek - south dakota

08 June 2006

cord mania

Is there such a thing as a planned move involving things with cords? Sunday my boss came in the office and started moving everything. (don't ask why I was working on a Sunday at school in the summer). That meant moving the computers. There was no careful rolling up of cords. It was pull, lump, and move. By the time the componets were in the copy room, the cords were all twisted into each other. I had actually spent some time organizing the cords earlier that year. I needed that computer, not any other, to run transcripts for seniors getting ready for their freshman year at college. SO, yesterday I untangled everything and stole a network cable from another computer and set the stuff up in the conference room. I didn't even bother to try and organize them. Please, send me wireless. Yah! like that is going to happen.

ps. you don't really have to move anything for the cords to entwine, when I wasn't looking my own comuter and stereo/tv/dvd/ set up tangled up their own set of cords into a gordian knot.

3 comments:

k2h said...

gorian knot? I thought you made that up, but alas, your so much more edumacated than I. (jen will like that article, it has some reference to topology in it)

the problem of tangled rats nest of cords is even more than you'd think. in some modern electronics they are using little radios inside the chips to keep from having to run wires on a circuit board. it is now possible for one processer to talk to another on the same board or in the same computer using a little radio. so even electrical engineers are plauged by your cord problem.

so far, I think USB has been one of the best inventions for solving the cord problem. you can plug in a whole bunch of things with just 1 cord. They have even been working on things such as sending power over your network cable, so you could charge/power your laptop when you plug your ethernet cable in.

Unknown said...

the real problem with cords is that they are never the right length... that's why they tangle. some are two short and are stretched across expanses they shouldn't be and others are too long and they wind around themselves. we need magical cords that elongate and shorten as needed.

i didn't know the origens of the name of the gordian knot, how interesting.

Unknown said...

not more educated...just know stuff from a different time and place. don't ask me math or physics, or anything about hip hop