autumn

autumn
spearfish creek - south dakota

03 September 2014


my daughter and my granddaughter accompanied me on my road trip from riverside, ca to boulder, co.  our first morning breakfast on the road was at Starbucks complete with electronic devices.  in fact, we stopped there confident that they would have internet available.  daughter still had some postings to do to finish the academic year.  so here we are.  two iPads (mine black and granddaughter's in the orange protective case) and one super powerful laptop (under granddaughter's iPad),.   

even though Leslie was almost five at the time of the picture, she already knows her way around the device. she will grow up quite literate when it comes to computers and their offspring.  some people may think that she is too young but the more fluent you are in any skill, the better off you are.  and her life is not all computers.  

i was born just before the eniac was  built under the direction of the war department.  it was very huge and was quite limited in its activities.  i think the average car today is smarter than the enaic.   in my lifetime i have witnessed the size of the computer diminish and the power of the computer sharply increase.  i was so excited when i had my first computer and was able to 'dial-up' the internet.  now i think i am addicted and probably spend too much time with my fingers on the keyboard.

but oh the possibilities... i can draw, check information, play games, collect information and pictures, read books, make books, watch movies, do my banking, find my ancestors, write, and a thousand other things i haven't discovered yet.  more addicting that coffee.  well, coffee is a close second, especially Starbucks.  

No comments: