autumn

autumn
spearfish creek - south dakota

23 November 2006

the three mums and vase story

my cousin called me yesterday....at least it wasn't at three in the morning so i was coherent. he wanted to know about the vase and the mums. the beginning. the best i can remember is that my dad gave the vase and three football mums to nanny, his grandmother, one thanksgiving when he couldn't be there. i think it must have been in the late 30's or early 40's. in any case the part of the story i didn't know was that my grandmother gave the vase to richard--my dad's cousin. then she decided to get it back. made richard mad so he went out and bought a 600 dollar waterford crystal vase. i can understand. my grandmother was always attaching great importance to things that did not necesarily have inherent importance. in any case she got it back, and i wound up with it ... it skipped my dad....and i gave it to my daughter. i think my sister would have liked it. not sure how i wound up with it.

in any case, my sister, myself, my daughter, i hope my son, richard (when he was alive), my mother(when she was alive), richard's son and i don't know who else... always have three football or other large mums in a vase at thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

well i didn't quite get the flowers i wanted. that's what i get for not trying to go myself. i was stuck without transportation and asked my mother-in-law to pick me up so i could go to the florist. she stopped at costco without me on the way home and called me and asked if some flowers were okay. i said yes because they were the colors i was looking for, but i didn't realize they were the small mums.... oh well... live and learn.

Unknown said...

yeah,,, i couldn't find what i wanted this year either, i think you have to order them ahead of time. so i wound up with a bunch of small yellow mums.... anyway we thought about the tradition. did doug call you?

cynthy said...

I ordered mums a week ahead of time. Three for me and three for James. I bought a vase for James since I was using the vase I bought when I moved here. I think I will start checking antique shops to see if I can find vases similar to the original. Anyway.. the tradition goes on.