autumn

autumn
spearfish creek - south dakota

05 June 2007

jobs

sometimes i am think that everyone should be forced to change jobs every 5 years or 6. if a person stays at a job any longer than that they start thinking they own the job if not invented it and that no one else can do it as good as they can because they know everything about the job.

long ago i decided that i would do a job or assignment to the best of my ability in the time and space allowed but that i would never OWN the job. when i left or was fired, that was it. there is always someone who can do the job...... maybe worse, maybe better, maybe a lot better. but at that point it is not your job.

i think one of the reasons the school where i am know needed to close is that too many people thought and think (those few that are still here) they own the job. once you think that, it seems that you lose your ability to think outside the box and to be flexible.

so when i leave i will try not to make comments or roll my eyes about what happens. it's not my job anymore. it is so freeing.

1 comment:

cynthy said...

How true. A person does seem to think that no one else can do the job as good as they can. When I quit being principal, I left a set of instructions for the next in line. Of course these contained passwords and how and where the tracking programs were located. There were checkout lists for the end of the year.. etc. etc. etc.

So here I am going on my 2nd year in this job. When I came here my predecessor came back for one day of instruction. I admit I had to call her on the phone a few times that first month. So I started writing another instruction booklet. Which is a good thing so I can take a vacation and the bosses wife can figure out how to run the computer programs when she fills in for me. No more stress or worry for me either.